Osteoarthritis is commonly known as “wear and tear” arthritis as it is a common consequence of ageing. The cartilage that lines the joints gradually wears down, causing pain, stiffness, swelling, and ultimately limits a person’s range of movement.
The joints that tend to be affected are the hips, spine, knees, hands, and feet.
• Glucosamine and Chondroitin have been proven to help maintain, and even re-build joint cartilage over time.
• Omega 3 from fish oil or flaxseed oil are helpful for their anti-inflammatory effects, and ability to keep the synovial fluid abundant in the joints.
Other tips and ideas:
• Keep your weight at a healthy level. Obesity is a contributing factor to conditions such as Osteoarthritis.
• Engage in weight-bearing exercise regularly, as this helps to strengthen the joints.
• Visiting an Osteopath at the Health Zone Clinic on a regular basis can help to maintain the range of motion in joints, and manage pain and stiffness.
• Reduce red meat and increase intake of oily fish such as salmon or sardines, mackerel. This is because red meat is pro-inflammatory, which can contribute to the symptoms of osteo-arthritis.