Memory and concentration
• Omega 3 from either fish or flaxseed oil is particularly beneficial for brain health, memory and concentration. The brain is largely made up of fatty acids, so supplementing with oils which are high in omega 3 helps to ensure that the brain is getting the nutrients that it needs for optimal health.
• Ginkgo biloba is an excellent herb for helping to increase blood supply to the brain. Increased blood flow to the extremities and brain results in improved nutrient distribution and therefore a sharper memory.
• Tyrosine is an amino acid which increases dopamine and norepinephrine levels in the brain, helping to increase alertness, and improves mood, motivation, and concentration.
• B Vitamins are necessary for boosting mood, memory, concentration and energy levels, and neurotransmitter production
• Phosphatidylserine is a phospholipid which feeds the brain cells, aiding memory, concentration, and mood.
Other tips and ideas:
• Reduce sugar intake – fluctuating blood sugar levels interfere with effective functioning of the brain and memory processes.
• Reduce stress, as this can interfere significantly with memory and concentration.
• ‘Exercise’ your brain on a regular basis with challenges such as crosswords and sudoku, as they will help to keep the brain agile and prevent deterioration.