Allergies are a result of the immune system reacting to substances which are usually harmless. In an allergic reaction, the body launches an attack on a foreign substance which has made contact with the body and can produce symptoms such as itching, rashes, hives, welts, wheezing, nasal congestion, or coughing. Allergies can result from contact with substances such as dust, pollen, chemicals, and foods such as peanuts, shellfish, eggs, and wheat.
If allergic reactions are severe or persistent, please take your child to see the doctor.
• Immune support is crucial in reducing the incidence of allergies. Herbs and nutrients such as Echinacea, Elderberry, Vitamin C, Zinc and Beta-glucans help to support and strengthen the immune system.
• Fish oil acts as an anti-inflammatory. Inflammation is often a factor in allergic conditions such as asthma, eczema, or hayfever.
• Probiotics are important to support the immune system. Eczema is just one of the many conditions which are strongly linked to a lack of beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract.
Other tips and hints:
• Consumption of nutrient-dense foods is vital, as nutrition plays a large part in the prevention and treatment of most health conditions, and is the foundation of robust health. Focus on including plenty of green vegetables in your child’s diet, ideally consuming eight to ten servings per day of a variety of fruits and vegetables.
• Allergy testing at the Health Zone Clinic may be necessary in order to determine what the allergens are so they can be eliminated. If the allergens are airborne, such as dust mites, vacuum regularly, wash sheets, air circulation etc