Heart health supplements
Cardiovascular health can be maintained through intake of the right nutrients and anti-oxidants. Nutrients which are beneficial for heart health will function as anti-oxidants, lower cholesterol levels, keep the arteries flexible, and thin the blood so that it can move through the arteries freely.
• CoQ10 is involved in energy production in every cell of the body, and helps to maintain heart health and function. CoQ10 also reduces the oxidation of LDL cholesterol, which is linked to atherosclerosis and heart disease.
• Resveretrol is an anti-oxidant which promotes heart health by preventing free radical damage, inflammation and blood clotting, all of which can lead to heart disease.
• Fish oils help to keep cholesterol levels in balance, keeps the arteries flexible so that blood can move through with ease, and reduces the risk of blood clots.
• Garlic reduces levels of LDL cholesterol and reduces blood clotting.
• Hawthorne is a tonic for the cardiovascular system, working to treat high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol levels, and functions as an anti-oxidant. Try A. Vogel Hawthorne and Garlic complex, formulated specifically for maintaining heart health.
• Solgar Homocysteine Modulators with Vitamin B6, B12, folic acid, and Trimethylglycine reduce homocysteine levels in the blood. Elevated homocysteine levels are a contributing factor to heart disease.
• Vitamin E acts as an anti-oxidant in the body and prevents the oxidation of cholesterol in the arteries which is a major contributor to atherosclerosis.
Other tips and hints:
• Consume a high fibre and anti-oxidant rich diet. Focus on fruits and vegetables, grains, nuts, seeds, and pulses.
• Reduce saturated fat intake.
• Quit smoking. The nicotine in tobacco constricts the blood vessels, raising blood pressure and increasing the risk of a heart attack or stroke.