The urinary tract is responsible for excreting wastes which the kidneys have filtered from the blood, removing them from the body through the urine.
Women are more prone to urinary tract infections than men as their short urethras and close proximity to the rectum leave them vulnerable to bacterial invasion.
Urinary tract infections involve the need to urinate frequently, burning pain when urinating, and cloudy urine.
There is the potential that urinary tract infections can travel up to the kidneys, so if there is blood in your urine, or you have lower back pain, please see your doctor.
• Uva ursi acts as an antiseptic, carrying harmful bacteria out of the urinary tract to be excreted through the urine.
• Cranberry is famous for its positive effects on the urinary tract. Solgar Cran Flora contains both probiotics and cranberry to keep the urinary tract healthy and comfortable.
• Probiotics keep the urinary tract healthy, and colonised with beneficial bacteria.
• D-Mannose removes harmful bacteria such as e. coli from the urinary tract and out of the system.
Other tips and hints:
• At the onset of an infection, increase water intake. Drink at least 1.5 – 2 litres of water per day to flush harmful bacteria out of the system. Dandelion leaf tea is a useful diuretic.
• Avoid sugar, as this worsens any infections and pre-disposes to infections, lowers the immune system.
• Follow the candida diet if urinary tracts are frequent.
• Avoid acidic foods as they irritate the mucous membranes that line the urinary tract.