Depression can come about for a variety of reasons, and can sometimes be attributed to prolonged periods of stress, resulting in a consistently low mood.
Recommended nutrients and herbs:
• 5HTP acts to lift the mood by increasing levels of the neurotransmitter serotonin. For those who prefer a herbal option, St johns wort helps to increase serotonin levels in the body. (Do not take St johns wort or 5HTP if you are taking anti-depressants).
• B Vitamins are required for healthy neurotransmitter production and energy production.
• Vitamin D deficiency can contribute to feelings of depression, especially in winter time. Get your Vitamin D levels checked through your doctor, and supplement accordingly.
• Rhodiola supports the nervous system by increasing serotonin levels, and so acts to lift the mood.
• Magnesium is important for a healthy nervous system and acts to counteract depression and anxiety.
• Omega 3 feeds the brain with the nutrients it needs and can contribute to a happier disposition.
Other tips and ideas:
• Eat foods which are rich in Tryptophan, such as turkey, cottage cheese, and bananas. Tryptophan is converted to Serotonin in the body.
• Exercise regularly for endorphin production.
• Come to the Health Zone Clinic and try acupuncture or hypnotherapy, both helpful therapies for treating depression.