• Essential fatty acids prevent dry brittle nails. Essential fatty acid deficiency can cause brittle nails which split easily.
• B vitamins, MSM, Silica, Calcium and Zinc are required for healthy, strong nails. Zinc deficiency can be indicated by white spots on the nails, and a poor sense of taste and smell.
• Iron. Deficiency of this mineral can result in pale, brittle nails with ridges down the length of the nail.
• Include plenty of protein in your diet. Hair, skin and nails are produced from a substance called keratin, which our bodies produce from protein. Either add protein powder to your diet, or get your protein from foods such as nuts, seeds, fish, eggs, organic meat, beans and lentils. The daily recommended dose of protein is 0.8g of protein per kilogram of body weight.
• Aim to drink 1.5 – 2 litres of water per day.
• Include plenty of anti-oxidants in the diet such as berries, fruits, vegetables and nutrient dense super foods.
• Foods which are rich in essential fatty acids such as oily fish, flaxseeds, chia seeds, and nuts.
• Reduce stress in your life, as this affects the quality of hair, skin and nails.