Acne is caused by blockage of the glands in the skin by sebum. This then causes the bacteria which is trapped underneath this blockage to produce inflammation and pus.
Acne can be caused by factors such as hormonal imbalances, a congested liver, digestive system or a build up of toxins in the blood stream.
• With skin conditions such as acne, it is important to improve digestive function, especially if there are symptoms present such as bloating, indigestion, constipation, or flatulence. Taking a high potency probiotic daily helps to restore bacterial balance in the digestive system, and taking digestive enzymes before each meal ensure that nutrients are able to be absorbed from food.
• If acne is predominantly around the chin and jaw line, this usually indicates hormonal imbalances are the cause of the acne. Chaste tree (not to be taken alongside the contraceptive pill) and Acupuncture treatments at the Health Zone Clinic are for treating acne which is hormonally based.
• Cleanse the liver with herbs such as Milk thistle and Artichoke, and the blood with Burdock, and Nettle leaf. Gentle detoxification by cleansing of the blood and liver is necessary for improving skin conditions such as acne.
• Fish oil or Flaxseed oil taken internally helps to correct essential fatty acid deficiencies through its moisturising and anti-inflammatory effects.
• Super greens powders are helpful for providing anti-oxidants and alkalising and cleansing the bloodstream.
• Zinc is important for skin healing, and helping to correct excessive oil production and hormonal imbalances.
• A good quality Multivitamin is recommended for any skin condition to ensure the right number of nutrients per day.
• Come to the Health Zone Clinic and make an appointment with our Nutritionist or Acupuncturist for help with resolving your skin issues.
Other tips and hints:
• Hydration is very important for skin health. Drink 1.5 – 2 litres of water per day.
• Aim to eat plenty of salads, raw foods, and vegetable juices for their enzyme and anti-oxidant content – 8-12 servings of fruits and vegetables per day.
• Avoid saturated fats, sugars, alcohol, caffeine and cigarettes, as they contribute to toxicity in the body.
• Rosehip oil applied to healed skin helps the skin to regenerate and prevent acne scarring.
• Lavender essential oil when used topically on acne acts as an antibacterial and has anti-inflammatory properties.
• Reduce stress, as this can be a factor in causing skin conditions such as acne.