The prostate is a gland which sits below the bladder, wrapped around the urethra, through which urine flows from the bladder out. The prostate is responsible for producing prostatic fluid, its main function being transport of sperm.
As a man ages, his levels of testosterone decrease, and levels of estrogen increase.
The prostate gland commonly enlarges with age due to hormonal changes. Prostate health can be compromised by the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone, causing the prostate cells to proliferate, resulting in an enlarged prostate gland.
An enlarged prostate causes pressure on the urethra, resulting in symptoms such as increased urination, a weak stream of urine, and difficulty in stopping and starting urination.
• Saw palmetto blocks the enzyme which causes conversion of testosterone to DHT and so prevents the overproduction of prostate cells which lead to an enlarged prostate.
• Lyc-O-Mato is a supplement containing Lycopene, the carotenoid pigment which is found in tomatoes and has benefits for the health of the prostate.
• Zinc is a mineral which is concentrated in the prostate gland, so is needed for optimal prostate health and inhibition of the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT)
• Selenium is a mineral with anti-oxidant effects which stimulates proper functioning of the prostate gland.
• Terra Nova Prostate Support is a combination of nutrients which have been formulated for prostate health.
Other tips and ideas:
• Include plenty of tomatoes in the diet, for their lycopene content.
• Increase general intake of anti-oxidants through the diet.
• Eat foods which are rich in zinc: pumpkin seeds, oysters, and red meat and selenium such as brazil nuts.
• Get regular prostate checks at your doctor.
• Reduce exposure to plastics and pesticides due to the estrogen compounds that they contain, contributing to hormonal disruption in the body.
• Avoid tap water due to the hormonal residues which it contains.