High blood pressure
High blood pressure means that the arteries are constricted, making movement of blood through the arteries difficult. This then restricts the delivery of nutrients and oxygen around the body, and increases the risk of heart attacks or strokes.
• Magnesium acts as a muscle relaxant, relaxing the smooth muscle of blood vessels and muscles and lowering blood pressure.
• Hawthorne is a herb which is a tonic for the cardiovascular system and helps to lower blood pressure. Try A. Vogel Hawthorne and Garlic complex for its beneficial effects on the cardiovascular system and blood pressure.
• Solgar Homocysteine Modulators with Vitamin B6, B12, folic acid, and Trimethylglycine to reduce homocysteine levels in the blood. Elevated homocysteine levels are a contributing factor to heart disease.
• Fish oils allow flexibility of the arteries so that they are able to expand and relax, and blood is therefore able to flow easily.
• Potassium causes loss of fluid from the body, and so can be useful in lowering blood pressure by causing increased filtration by the kidneys and increased urine loss.
Other tips and hints:
• Reduce stress, as stress and tension causes an immediate surge in blood pressure.
• Avoid salt. Salt causes the body to retain water, which leads to higher blood volume and therefore higher blood pressure.
• Avoid caffeine – stimulants cause a rise in blood pressure.
• Consume fruits and vegetables which are high in magnesium and potassium.
• Exercise daily.
• Have your homocysteine levels checked by your doctor, as this can contribute to high blood pressure.
• Quit smoking. The nicotine in tobacco constricts the blood vessels, raising blood pressure and increasing the risk of a heart attack or stroke.