Anxiety is a state of worry and fear, which puts our bodies into ‘fight or flight’ mode, causing the adrenal glands to pump out stress hormones which keep us in a state of tension. To relieve anxiety, we recommend herbs and nutrients which act to soothe and promote relaxation.
Recommended nutrients and herbs:
• Sedative herbs such as Valerian and Chamomile have calming effects. Drink valerian and chamomile teas throughout the day, or take them as herbal tinctures or tablets for the same effect.
• Magnesium has a relaxing effect on the nervous system and is a muscle relaxant. Magnesium deficiency can result in symptoms such as anxiety and insomnia.
• 5HTP may reduce symptoms of anxiety, and lift the mood by increasing the neurotransmitter serotonin. For those who prefer a herbal option, St johns wort helps to increase serotonin levels in the body.
• Rescue remedy is a blend of bach flower remedies which work to calm anxious minds, and can be used as often as needed.
• B Vitamins are recommended for treating anxiety, as they are used up rapidly during times of stress and tension, leading to low moods and tiredness.
Other tips and ideas:
• Keeping blood sugar levels stable is very important, as rising and falling blood sugar levels causes the adrenal glands to pump out stress hormones such as adrenaline and cortisol, making anxiety worse. Avoid these fluctuations by having small meals regularly, include protein in each meal, avoid sugary and processed foods, avoid stimulants such as coffee, and always eat breakfast in the morning.
• Concentrate on foods which are high in B Vitamins and Magnesium. B Vitamins and Magnesium can be found in foods such as nuts, seeds, wholegrains, and green leafy vegetables.
• Exercise such as walking or yoga helps to relieve anxious minds.
• Try Hypnotherapy at the Health Zone Clinic to develop new coping mechanisms for dealing with stress and anxiety.