Menopause is a natural phase of a woman’s life, a phase where fertility wanes, the ovaries stop producing eggs, and menstruation ceases.
The onset of menopause can result in symptoms such as hot flushes; night sweats; low moods; mood swings; weight gain; reduced sex drive; and fatigue.
• A. Vogel Menosan contains Sage which has cooling properties, helping to reduce hot flushes.
• Viridian Herbal Female Complex contains a range of herbs which act to relieve the wide range of menopausal symptoms.
• Siberian ginseng is an adaptogenic herb which increases tolerance to stress, and has calming effects.
• St Johns wort raises serotonin levels in the brain, helping to improve emotional wellbeing and reduce anxiety.
• Solgar PM Phytogen Complex or Solgar Female Complex are good options for supplementation during menopause.
• Solgar Isoflavones offer soy isoflavones which have estrogenic effects in the body, helping to reduce the effects of menopause.
• Shatavari is a herb which works as a tonic for the female reproductive system. It has estrogenic effects through its phytoestrogen content, helping to reduce uncomfortable menopausal symptoms.
• B Vitamin complex helps the body to cope with stress, supporting balanced moods and energy levels. Viridian’s High 5 B Complex is very good as it offers high levels of Vitamin B5 which nourishes the adrenal glands. The adrenal glands need to be looked after in menopause, as once the ovaries stop producing oestrogen, the adrenal glands are the only part of the body which are capable of producing oestrogen, therefore they need to be as healthy as possible.
• Women’s Choice Noni Juice contains nutrients and herbs which act to relieve menopausal symptoms.
Other tips and hints:
• Add plenty of phytoestrogenic foods such as chickpeas, flaxseeds, lentils, and small amounts of soy foods to your diet. They have oestrogen-like effects in the body which help to reduce the effects of menopause.
• Look after your bones with calcium containing foods – oestrogen has a protective effect on bones, and when production of oestrogen during menopause diminishes, bone health can be left vulnerable. Dark green leafy vegetables, chickpeas, tahini, and broccoli are good sources of calcium.
• Drink Peppermint tea for its cooling effects, and spray Rosewater on the face for help with relieving hot flushes.